The extensive list of Sailor Moon character names is courtesy of
|Tsukikage no Knight
|Professor Tomoe Souichi
|Cyprine & Ptiol
||Cyprine and Ptiol|
* - 'Malishka' means 'small' in Russian.
** - 'Ritsar Lunnogo Sveta' means 'Moonlight Knight.'
*** - "'Koroleva' means 'queen' but why they called her Pogibel - that's the
question: 'pogibel' in russian means 'death.' Maybe they misunderstood Beryl
- to bury?"
**** - 'Raduzshnii' means rainbow (adj.) and 'cristall' - crystal.
***** - 'Serebrjannii cristall' means 'silver crystal.'
****** - Almaz means 'diamond.'
******* - Means 'emerald.'
******** - 'Sestri' means 'sisters' while 'presledovatelnitsi' means
********* - 'Mudrets' means 'Wiseman.'
********** - Means 'The Apostols of Death'
*********** - Vedmi=witches while pjat'=five.
For more names of the characters in Russian Sailor Moon, you can visit
Julia's webpage, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor.
Additional information on Sailor Moon in Russia has been provided by
Julia. Her contributions are cut
and pasted below.
"Well I can tell you a little about SailorMoon in Russia.
"1. You wander why Queen Beril was called "pogibel". I think I know why.
Yes, "beril" is a stone and we have almost the same word in Russian.
But the anime was translated for children, grown-ups usually don't watch
"cartoons", as they call it. (Of course there are some exceptions who
see a lot in SailorMoon, me for example ^_^) And the translators needed
to show children how terrible Queen Beril is. By the way, "pogibel"
means not only death, but also ruin, destruction and so on. And it is
also an abstract noun which means something that ruin, kill.....Wow! How
linguistically-minded I am!
"2. Witches 5 actually are called not "ved'my pjat'", but it is a Company
of Witches and Killers("Kompanija Ved'my i Ubijtsy")...
"I've got one more idea about Beryl's name is Russia (I guess it doesn't
interest you very much...but still i tell you). Probably "beryl" sound
nearly like "peryl". And so it was translated into Russian. Sayonara!"
The following long list of senshi attack names is courtesy of
Attacks and Transformations Of The Senshi in Russia
- "Moon Prism, give me the power!" Used in ALL three seasons shown in
- "Holy Grail, give me the power!" That turns her into SuperSailormoon
- "Moon Tiara, fight!"
- "Moon Tiara, throw the stardust!"
- "Moon Healing Power, help!"
- "Magical Moon Wand, help!" Used both in R and S.
- "Mercury Power, give me the power!" I know that sounds stupid... but
it's not me who dubbed SM. In one episode, she says 'Mercury Prism, give
me the power!". Used in all three seasons.
- "Soap Rain, fight!" Used in all three seasons.
- "Mars Power, give me the power!" Used always.
- "Fire Soul, fight!" Used always.
- "Akuroi Taisan" was translated in MANY different ways... even as
"Dark Demons, leave my body!" (in episode 12, I suppose).
- "Jupiter Power, give me the power!"
- "Thunder Soul, fight!" In the first episode when Jupiter appeared, she
said: "My guardian planet Jupiter, let there be lighting and thunderstorm!
Let the thunder come!" or something. What a LONG attack.
- "Venus Power, give me the power!"
- "Crescent Beam, fight!" OR "Saint Crescent, fight!"
- "Venus Love Chain, fight!"
- "Pluto Planet Power, come to me!"
- "Dead Scream!" just WASN'T translated most of the time... She only
said "Elemental Spirit" (?!) or something once.
- "Uranus Planet Power, come to me!"
- "Earth, crack!" or something like that. My translation of her attack
from Russian to English is pretty bad.
- "Neptune Planet Power, come to me!"
- There was something WEIRD with her attack... it got MANY versions of
- "Deep Submerge!" as it should be.
- "High Wave!" An opposite to number 1...
- "Ice Ball!" ???
- "Moon Prism, give me the power!"
- "Heart of a Pink Sweet-tooth, fight!"
"Sailormoon is being shown in Russia once again since April 14, so I decided
to tell you some more stuff on Russian dub for your All Over the World
Today I watched the Usagi-Mamoru-babysitting episode (the R season), and I
noticed that in this particular episode, Ami transformed saying "Moon
Healing Escalation" :P. That's not very important but... I just thought it
was stupid enough. Also there was a great lot of such stupid mistakes in
our dub in fact:
1. Zoisite was called Jadeite for somewhat 3 episodes (that followed Jadeite
being put into Eternal Sleep). That confused lots of people who thought that
2. Sailormoon says "Moon Prism Power" instead of "Moon Healing Escalation"
3. "Moon Princess Halation" is changed into "Moon Healing Escalation" (Moon
Healing Power, help me! - in Russian) for the entire Alien arc.
4. The senshi say "[Planet] Power, fight!" instead of their regular attacks
and/or transformation phrases sometimes.
5. When Usagi gets her new brooch in R, she says "Moon Healing Escalation" to
transform. Russian dubbing company seems to like that phrase ^^.
6. Ail and Ann sometimes call each other their true names in public.
7. Nephrite calls Zoisite "Jadeite", and in the same dialogue Zoisite
mentiones how Jadeite was telling him (Zoisite) that he'll kill the senshi
no matter what. Can we say the dialogue becomes pretty weird this way?^^
8. Rei's "Akuryo Taisan" chanting is translated as "Everything that moves to
me, move back!" :P
9. Usagi says "In the name of the moon, I will punish you!" instead of her
10. Nephrite once says "Light of the stars, give me your power to transform!".
Makes me wonder HOW on earth was he going to transform."
[ top ]